Monday, March 11, 2013

In Reply: "However wrong some folks might've thought Ms. Zerlina's opinion was, laying into a black woman by saying she was "cry[ing] like a freakin' little black baby whose mom's too busy with a crack pipe to pay her any mind." is far more likely to cause people to defend her rather than to disagree with her."

In reply to American Nihilist: And Then I Met a Man Who Had No Feet, discussing this post.
---

Whenever I read blatently bigoted or offensive posts like his I wonder whether the people who write and post them realize that the only people applauding are other bigoted offensive people. Everyone else is disgusted.

And even if these people really believe what they're saying, and think they're speaking "hard truth"--and sadly, I suspect that some of 'em really do--I cannot believe that they don't realize how badly they're alienating themselves from everyone who isn't an offensive bigot...or alternatively, that they just don't care.

I mean, I guess we on the left should be happy... This is no way to get normal, decent people to join the conservative movement, or even the Republican party. However wrong some folks might've thought Ms. Zerlina's opinion was, laying into a black woman by saying she was "cry[ing] like a freakin' little black baby whose mom's too busy with a crack pipe to pay her any mind." is far more likely to cause people to defend her rather than to disagree with her. To the extent people outside of the bigoted Right read posts like these, it's probably a small win for the Left, but speaking for myself, I'd rather not win at the expense of the individuals and groups these bigots verbally beat up on...
---

Posted March 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Links:
American Nihilist: And Then I Met a Man Who Had No Feet

@ZerlinaMaxwell Should Never Be Threatened for Making Stupid Comments, But That's No Excuse for Stupidity (Read the comments. Wow.)

No comments:

Nerd Score (Do nerds score?)