Tuesday, January 04, 2011

In Reply: "Princess Boy" - The issue is a bit more complex than that, isn't it?

In reply to: Cassy Fiano - Would You Let Your Son Be A Princess Boy?, and (obviously) Robert and Cassie's comments, in particular. (Cassy's post also appears here: Would You Let Your Son Be A Princess Boy? | NewsReal Blog):
--

As I said at another post on the subject: American Niiiiihilist: Donald Douglas' Fear of "Feminization" Revisited (and as Cassy and Robert both kinda said here), the issue is often more complex than just forcing the kid to dress and act a certain way, whether it be according to body features or the gender the child is reaching toward. For those interested, there was a great Atlantic article from Nov. 2008 that discussed the issue in much greater depth: A Boy's Life - Magazine - The Atlantic

I don't know that there is any one right answer, but I'm hard pressed to condemn the actions of too many parents dealing with kids like this, no matter what way they choose to address it. While I'm sure there are a few exceptions on both sides, most parents are doing the best they can to help their children through it, whether by demanding strict adherence to gender roles or by allowing the child to dictate who they are (within reason, of course.) I can't imagine how difficult it must be...
---

Submitted for posting (Is Cassy's blog moderated? I didn't notice where it said so, but my comment didn't post...) 1/4/11, 5:50 PM ("What'd I Say" blog time)
---
Resubmitted (and moderated, I believe -- It shows up on the site as comment 12, but in italics... I'll let you know...) January 5, 2011 • 7:40 am (comment #12)

No comments:

Nerd Score (Do nerds score?)