Monday, February 28, 2011

In reply: "Rather than bring ourselves up, we decide to drag others down"

In reply to comments posted at Are public unions our convenient economic scapegoats? - Fortune Management (and seen/heard elsewhere, as well.)
---

I love these people who say "I'm in the private sector (non-union), and the company froze my salary/eliminated my pension/cut my benefits, so why shouldn't the unionized folks in the public sector suffer?", or some variant thereof. (I'm not going to single folks out, but you know who you are.) When did we become a nation that wants to bring everyone else down to our level (or below), rather than striving to reach theirs? When I see the salary & benefits of union folks, I think that being in a union did those folks some good, and I try to figure out how I can either get a union job, or unionize the folks who work in my current field.
---
I can appreciate that there is some corruption in unions, but that's human nature. There's corruption everywhere that money and/or power resides; Politics and corporations also have their fair share of greed and abuse of power. We should never accept corrupt individuals, but we shouldn't punish everyone for the sins of the few, either.
---
Every time individuals band together to consolidate their power and use it to get what they want (including these "tea parties," 527's that can spend unlimited amounts of cash on our elections, the explosion of corporate/special interest lobbyists, and even corporate boards), they're in effect, unionizing.
---
I'm all for punishing those caught with their hand in the money/power cookie jar, but I support the legal right and moral necessity of unions of all kinds. We can often accomplish far more working together than we can accomplish as individuals. (Isn't that what our US government is and stands for, after all? "We the people, in order to form a more perfect union, ...")

Points, for the title paraphrase... 8>) Clue: "One big pile is better'n two little ones..."
---

Submitted for Fortune Magazine moderator approval Posted 2/28/2011, 12:55 PM

And a timely "joke" that another commenter posted there:
"A public union employee, a tea party activist, and a CEO are sitting at a table with a plate of a dozen cookies in the middle of it. The CEO takes 11 of the cookies, turns to the tea partier and says, 'Watch out for that union guy. He wants a piece of your cookie.'"

No comments:

Nerd Score (Do nerds score?)