Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In Reply: More questions for Fred Gottheil, regarding his Statement of Concern

In reply to: Leftist Professors and Double Standards Part II | FrontPage Magazine

Dr. Gottheil:

Thank you for releasing your Statement of Concern. (While I doubt you did so as a result of my e-mail or blog post, I still appreciate the quick response.)

However, I'm still looking for the official version, complete with signatures, released in the public domain in the manner you promised in your Statement. (One would hate to think that this was just a stunt, and that you had no intention of doing so).

I'm also hoping you'll release:
1) the list of people to whom you e-mailed the statement
2) any proof you have that some/all/any of the folks you e-mailed but who didn't reply actually read it (Did anyone reply with a "NO"?), and
3) any follow-up you did to determine why these folks hadn't signed (phone calls making sure they had in fact received and read it, for instance).

Personally, I find it kinda troubling that you folks are making such a big deal about the fact that many academics failed to reply to a "cold-call" e-mail campaign from a professor they likely never heard of...

But as I said yesterday, I would like to hear it direct from the horse's mouths, as it were. The professors who didn't sign should be afforded the opportunity to explain why they didn't sign originally, and, now that they have another chance, whether they'd be willing to sign now. (Again, while I'm not an academic, I'm willing to affix my liberal "YES" to the statement. I'd be surprised to find there were many liberals who would disagree...)

I again look forward to your further reply (in part 3, I'd imagine.)
---

Posted (and e-mailed to Dr Gottheil) 9/22/10, 5:52 PM (WIS blog time)
---

To peruse all my other commentary on this subject, previous and since, click the "GOTTHEIL" label, below.

Also, Dr. Gottheil's Statement of Concern is now posted at PetitionsOnline.com, and is accepting signatures from anyone willing to speak out against human rights abuses in the Middle East. As you're obviously interested in the story, I urge you to step up and sign it: Support Regarding Discrimination in the Middle East against Women, Gays, and Lesbians Petition

No comments:

Nerd Score (Do nerds score?)